Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2010 H3 Alpha update.

Thread: 2010 H3 Alpha update.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 747 Posts

2010 H3 Alpha update.

Just turned.
    IMAG0686.jpg

She still runs like a top. Regular Mobil1 5W30 changes every 5000. Tcase fluid every 20000. Diff fluid every 25000.
    Since it is now semi retired from OffRoad duties some of the under armor, suspension and heavy duty parts will be coming off to save weight and make it easier to maintain.

Replacing the power steering rack and tie rods (came with the brand new rack, why not) this weekend at CBs Garage Mahal. There is what feels like a dead spot right smack in the center of the steering. We will keep the Outfitter Design steering rack mount and reuse the mount bushing but the O.D. Big Azz Tie Rodz will be moved from the H3 to the H3T since it is the primary wheeler now. I'll will try to do a "how-to" if I remember to take pix. Sometimes you just dive in and forget to document.

Rear springs are swaps from an H3T (thanks Geno). They flex like crazy OffRoad but now have a tendency to squat a lot upon initial acceleration and wallow in hard turns and the bushings are starting to show their age. Going to swap them for new OEM springs, poly sway bar bushings, new U bolts, new shackles and bushings all around. Might even replace the Tom P. Shock/Spring Skids with the OEM ones since I have to remove them to replace the springs anyway.

That's all I have for now. Just thought I would document the 75000 miles.

No we will not be selling any of the items I will be removing. Just in case you thought you might ask.
    . . . . .
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad / XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

H3Hummer (08-13-2017)

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Re: 2010 H3 Alpha update.

On my alpha I have same deadspot feeling. We think we tracked it down to the steering shaft u joint(s). Going to order new one soon and see if that finally resolves the issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

I am not sure it is and of the joints. I believe the last time we went through and tightened all of the steering parts we over tightened the OD rack clamp. Compressing the steering rack body and over time the slop has manifested.

If it was the knuckles it would have a dead spot at other positions besides dead center. And there's no other dead spots.

Never know, I may be wrong. Having an extra rack is nice. 2 is even better.
    . . . . .
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Crazy enough we solved the problem. It ended up being the driver side upper control arm balljoint that was causing the binding feeling/ deadspot in the steering. It was REALLY bad and pin looked slightly bent which is crazy because I do not offroad my DD alpha...

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

Upper control arm ball joint, never would have thought about that.
    After replacing the rack I yesterday I tested all of the usual suspects with the old 12 and 6 o’clock, then 9 and 3 o'clock tests. Boots look good too.
    I guess if the rack does not fix the issue I will have to tear into another part of the front suspension. Lucky, I have 2 new upper control arms.
    . . . . .