Thread: Help: Steering, BallJoints & Front Diff Bushing

addiction level: 1
    Thanks

Help: Steering, BallJoints & Front Diff Bushing

I am absolutly pissed what I just found after finally crawling under the truck from a squeek that started two weeks ago and now since the steering wheel grabbed to the right when i was turning and didnt want to go back to center; squeek started really soft now its very noticable. Ive had my truck in one shop for the front end upgrades (there was some attemted ery then with the tech saying i drove the truck in with a broken ABS sensor wire). Im not going to name the shop yet, but it is nation wide.
    Please tell me what you all see wrong in these photos and how you think it happened. -I am schedueld for them to do rear end upgrades this coming Friday, I told the sales rep yesterday that I want them to look at the front for a squeek. And now I am preparing for a battle.

Questions I have:
    Looking at the front diff; should I be concerned about the oil leak out / is my diff damaged possibly? Does this indicate the seals are bad?
    The ball joints' zerks point at the wheel (WTF), isnt there suppose to be a boot installed on these? are these still good?
    Tie rod out ends still good?
    Steering rack, its shot isnt it / is that a crack on the rack? Would a zip tie on a boot cover just magically fall off?
    Front Diff Bushing....how the does the bushing just explode? These poly bushings are harder than the OEM rubber ones...

List of Front End upgrades installed-
    May 2015: Outfitter Design Tie Rods
    June 2015: Scorpion Steering Bracket & Differential Bracket Bushing
    February 2020: Moog Upper Control Arms, Moog Ball Joints, Leveled and Aligned. Took three days b/c their tech cut the driver ABS sensor, then claimed I drove it in like that

IMG_1108.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1111.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1116.jpgIMG_1122.jpgIMG_1125.jpgIMG_1128.jpgIMG_1130.jpgIMG_1124.jpg

addiction level: 1
    Thanks

Re: Help: Steering, BallJoints & Front Diff Bushing

From my perspective Its s easy to tell the shop they FUBARED the install b/c
    1. The ball joints are installed w/Zerk facing the damn wheel & w/o the boot
    2. and there is oil and grease oozing out everywhere

Thanks

Your steering rack looks like they put a pipe wrench on it trying to remove the inner tie rod. It looks unsafe to use, and yes it looks cracked. They obviously had no idea what they were doing from the looks of their work. I would take it to another mechanic, and get a written report on the work they performed. I would not have them do any other work on my Hummer!!!!!!!!!!

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 806 Posts

Do the repairs yourself or take it to a different place.
    Looks like they are a hack job place. Or at least the mechanic working on it was.
    New rack (you can sell the new 16mm tie rods it comes with to someone), new tie rod ends (Extra HD), new differential bushings, new sealed lower ball joints and new diff seals. Make sure to use an axle seal protector (Kent Moore J-44394 Axle Seal Protector) when installing the half shaft back in. The half shafts have very sharp splines and will slice the brand new seals.
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: SAS'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad SAS/SOA, NOTJEEP 2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

zefrum (06-19-2020)