Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
MTUH3 Build - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MTUH3 Build

Thanks

Re: MTUH3 Build

Let me know if you ever get to buying wheels. I can help get you a good price.
    Carl
    2006 H3 - with a bunch o stuff
    Rogue Wave Industries - KC HiLites and Amsoil
    http://roguewaveindustries.com/

addiction level: 5
    Thanks

New wheels looking bad ass. Can't wait to see more pics of the 3 now.

God did not build mountains in vain, but to be climbed by Hummers,
    2006 H3 3,5L manual transmission ,Adventure pack with 4:1 Tcase and rear diff locker, 2,5" front lift ,Bilstein 5100 front shocks with 1/2" extended Bump stops, 1,25" rear lift warrior shakles, 315/75/16 COOPER STT PRO , UCP, tow package, PCM tune, home made snorkel (under hood) , optima yellow.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to H3Hummer For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (01-09-2015)

Thanks

Screwed around in the garage some more last night.

Installed a pair of KC HiLites Gravity Series LEDs on the cowls. This will work for the upcoming trip this weekend, but won't be here long. I also have another pair going on the brush guard. The lights on the cowl are spot beam, the ones on the BG will be spread beam. I work very closely with KC and their motorsports division. LEDs are quickly approaching the performance of HIDs, these are comparable to ther 35W HID. HIDs are still the best performing light out there, for most applications. Better pictures will follow later, when I have a chance to take the truck out.

http://www.kchilites.com/catalog/pro.../category/381/

20150112_212131.jpg

I also installed a pair of KC Cyclone LEDs. These little guys pack a punch, and have a ton of uses. I installed a similar set up on my pick-up. Worked well. I am really happy with the performance on the H3. These lights are very low wattage, so I skipped using a full relay system to the lights, just a simple switch. I drill a hole in the radiator support on the drivers side. The switch is easy to turn on. I just did not feel like running more wires into the cabin. I used some existing holes in the hood and some thread rolling screws to attach the lights.

http://www.kchilites.com/lights/cyclone.html

Lights

20150113_022023.jpg

Switch

20150113_022039.jpg

Lights on. I turned all the garage lights off, you can see how well the engine bay is lit.

20150113_022116.jpg
    Carl

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

H3Hummer (01-13-2015),Jphh20 (01-13-2015),MUTAINT (01-13-2015),WickedKlown2 (01-13-2015)

Thanks

Bad ass, that helps out there when it's pitch black.

2006 H3 3,5L manual transmission ,Adventure pack with 4:1 Tcase and rear diff locker, 2,5" front lift ,Bilstein 5100 front shocks with 1/2" extended Bump stops, 1,25" rear lift warrior shakles, 315/75/16 COOPER STT PRO , UCP, tow package, PCM tune, home made snorkel (under hood) , optima yellow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to H3Hummer For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (01-13-2015)

Thanks

Installed more lights last night. KC Gravity Series, This is a picture of them mocked up in place, I used to have Hella lights on a mount I made there, I just modified that old mount to fit these lights.

FB_IMG_1421290479294.jpgFB_IMG_1421290479294.jpg

Here are some picture of the lights. I think I need to do a little more dialing in, but pretty close.

OE Headlights

20150115_014244.jpg

OE Headlights and Fog lights (Fog lights use a Hella Optilux blue bulb)

20150115_014252.jpg

Headlights, Fog Lights and Gravity Series Spread Pattern on the BG

20150115_014259.jpg

Headlights, Fog Lights, Gravity Series Spread on BG, and KC Gravity Series Spot beam on the cowl

20150115_014309.jpg
    Carl

Thanks

Wow. Awesome lighting and looks good.
    Live Life, Love Life, And Love Your Hummer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pappibri For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (01-16-2015)

Thanks

I have to say also, the 2 KC lights on the brushguard easily outperformed the 3 Hella Halogean lights I there. Two different technologies, but wow. What a big difference a superior designed manufactured product make
    Carl

Thanks

makes daylight at night

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTUH3 View Post
    Installed more lights last night. KC Gravity Series, This is a picture of them mocked up in place, I used to have Hella lights on a mount I made there, I just modified that old mount to fit these lights.

Here are some picture of the lights. I think I need to do a little more dialing in, but pretty close.

Headlights, Fog Lights, Gravity Series Spread on BG, and KC Gravity Series Spot beam on the cowl

20150115_014309.jpg
    Hi Carl,
    Glad to have met you this last weekend (we chatted a bit thru the window of my T).. That last pic, seems to show the Spot beam really stabbing into the road completely to the hill dropping out of sight.. makes me wonder what it looks like with 'just' the Spot beams turned on? Of the lights you have installed, they're the ones that caught my interest the most.
    2009 I5x5Adv H3T (adopted Aug'13), Driver: Snowman; Front+Rear lockers, BA bumper+12K# Badlands winch, Fierce Attitude 35's on cstm pntd Tactical whlz (not winter), Duratrac 35's on cstm pntd MB whlz (winter), AirDoc intake, CB-UCP, RR Rock Sliders, TomP low profile shock mounts, CB-Hunner Skids.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (01-20-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Hi Carl,
    Glad to have met you this last weekend (we chatted a bit thru the window of my T).. That last pic, seems to show the Spot beam really stabbing into the road completely to the hill dropping out of sight.. makes me wonder what it looks like with 'just' the Spot beams turned on? Of the lights you have installed, they're the ones that caught my interest the most.
    I will see if I can get some more shots like that for you. My wife and I are suppose to do some more pictures is night to send in as feedback. I will try to make that happen.

If I could make a suggestion, for those considering putting lights on the cowl also. Buy and extra set of inserts, and drill a hole in them. Because these light come with a 2 pin connector to the harness, you can just pop off the light and cowl together, then pop on the new set. This was you don't need to have them driving around down, or for security reasons. The harness can stay in the truck. Probably less than 5 miutes to swap
    Carl

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

Jim (01-22-2015)

addiction level: 3
    Thanks

Sweet build and light show. I have no bump stop's on the front and has been that way for a year with no problems, and TB is at 23 5/8.
    some day's are better then other's

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (01-22-2015)

Thanks

There is noticeable font end dive under heavy braking with the ride height I am at. I don't remember the numbers off hand, but it is about as high as you can go. I am waiting to determine if I am going to keep the same bump stop system on my truck, and move the gas bumps to my truck. I am also tossing around the idea of picking up some hydraulic bump stops. This would provide the extra dampening under heavier loads, but during slow speed impacts, like rock crawling, you will get a softer and more travel from the stop. A project I wanted to get to this year, but didn't squeeze it in. Only small tweaks here and there now as I have to keep her on the road for the winter.
    Carl

Thanks

More night light pictures here....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128669...7650388762966/
    Carl

Thanks

How do you like the gravity leds? I have been considering getting them for awhile now, but being so new reviews are few. My current KC halogens don't work (short, ground, whatever is wrong), anyway figured I would upgrade and I like the traditional round housing versus a bar.
    -2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cgalpha08 For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (01-24-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgalpha08 View Post
    How do you like the gravity leds? I have been considering getting them for awhile now, but being so new reviews are few. My current KC halogens don't work (short, ground, whatever is wrong), anyway figured I would upgrade and I like the traditional round housing versus a bar.
    I could go into a lot about lighting. And it depends on what you are going to use your lights for.....

Slow rides, rock crawling, and LED bar is sufficient. Typically they have excellent spread characteristics and are a large improvement over halogens and typical headlights and fog lights.

Here is a short lesson on lighting. I am not an expert, but I do have a direct line to KC and their motorsports group. So yes, I am a fan boy and bias.... but this applies to all lights.

Halogen are the oldest technology. They work, and provide extra light, but the power draw to light output is low.

LEDs are often considered the next best technology. Power draw per watt is the best, applications are nearly infinite, but companies are still struggling to develop the most usable optics for and LED

HIDs are still considered the best technology for most applications. Relatively low power draw for the output. Also the optics have been developed to a max.

When evaluating light output, there are two camps. Those who look at Lumens and those that look at Candela, or Lux. When evaluating light, I make my choices on Candela and Lux vs Lumens.

Here is why:

A Lumen measure light at the source of the device, in basic terms, how much does it hurt your eyes when you look directly at the light.

Candela / Lux, are measurements of light at a distance. If you were sitting in your truck, how well lit is the speed limit sign 1/4 mile away, as an example. Candela / Lux take all of the lighting design into account. Not only how bright is the bulb or source, but how well is the reflector and housing designed.

Which is why I have chosen to stick with KC. They offer light options in all technologies, and combining technologies allows you to create what KC calls "Light Balance." Meaning, using various technologies to overlap lighting beams, filling in "black spots."

One step further, and focusing on something like HIDs for example, you can also play the wattage game. There is a a benefit from light output, but the different wattages burn at different temperatures, which can affect color, and hence how your eyes react in given environments. For example, a yellow light is usually best in fog / dust, Bluer light often helps in snow. Color setting can be done through other means, but understanding your environment can help direct you the right wattage.

If you compare equal power and technology to reflector size meaning a 50W HID in a 6" reflector and a 50W HID in an 8" reflector, you will see minor improvement in lighting distance, but in overall coverage, there will be an improvement. The larger reflector helps increase the area of the cone produced from the reflector.

Now that I bored you....

The 6" Gravities series lights were chosen by me over the 35W HIDs by KC. This was because of the improvement of technology has allowed this LED series to equal the performance of the 35W HID that KC currently makes. I am extremely happy. In past posts in the thread, you may have noticed my truck had 3 Hella Halogen lights. The two Gravity Spread Beam lights on the bumper now out perform the 3 halogens easily, in both distance and light coverage.

I am going to move the lights to my pick-up soon, and that will allow me to evaluate them at a higher speed condition. They should be a large improvement over the Hella Halogens I had before, but not quite enough for the real fast stuff. High speed will most likely require stepping up to a 50W HID.

If you are interested in the lights. Let me know, I can work with KC.
    Carl

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

cgalpha08 (01-24-2015)

Thanks

While I was waiting for my new fuel line to come in, I did some painting to freshen things up. Rustoleum Bed Liner Spray.

11214730_10100325566034917_6433261885130724165_n.jpg

Here is a picture of the fuel line. The looks like the line as rubbing on the bottom of the body.

11866327_10100324144144397_2905105481418127245_n.jpg

I also replaced the wheels, I was having corosion issues on the wheels around the tires. These are Method NV wheels. 0 mm offset.

10922485_10100216513871327_7243276779602034925_n.jpg
    Carl

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

H3Hummer (08-20-2015),MUTAINT (08-19-2015)

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 752 Posts

Where was that fuel line connection?
    . . . . .
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad / XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MUTAINT View Post
    Where was that fuel line connection?
    The connector in the pic is at the gas tank. There is a metal line on the top of the tank, and this plastic line connects from there to a hard line around the mid cross member.

Pretty easy fix, remove the front two bolts for the gas tank skid plate. Give it a few tugs to get some hand clearance, and snap in the new line. From the dealer, clips are included, so it is a very easy snap and fix.
    Carl

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

H3Hummer (08-20-2015)

Thanks

Hey folks. Hope everyone is doing well.

Couple weeks ago took the H3 to Drummond Island for the first time since a did the SOA. Wow.... that is really sad....

Anyhow, the truck made it through and I was very happy with the performance. A lot of bump steer and input, but that is because of the front end alignment, so I can live with that.

The shorter front spring hangers made a difference on a few parts for the trail. Minus a trip through a mud spot, I don't remember hitting the bottom of the truck on anything.

I do need to sort out my ABS fault now, it is on 100% of the time. It has its advantages at times, but it also makes shifting TC gears a pain.

13988142_10100497398072137_5569888063855273983_o.jpg

14067928_10100497398401477_2506241141881313513_o.jpg

I am considering swapping the rear end back to a spring under.
    1. More control over ride height. - The SOA springs are almost flat at ride height, and I can set the rear height to lower the front to a more street friendly setting
    2. Better Spring arc - similar to above, just makes the springs perform better and give more travel before inverting or flattening.

Not sure how I want to do that part... buy another axle and modify accordingly, or weld new brackets on the current axle... who knows

Oh the plans I have for this truck..... now all I need is more time and $$$
    Carl

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (08-26-2016)

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

Glad to see the old girl out stretching her legs.
    I figured a D44 SAS was in your future to match the rear height...
    Last edited by MUTAINT; 08-29-2016 at 06:11 AM.
    . . . . .
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

33. The Following User Says Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (08-29-2016)

Thanks

Glad to read that bro. Time an cash, the time between two worlds

35. The Following User Says Thank You to H3Hummer For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (08-29-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MUTAINT View Post
    Glad to see the old girl out stretching her legs.
    I figured a D44 SAS was in your future to match the rear height...
    Eh, as of now I plan on trying to keep the IFS. Just keeping some of the history of the truck, and it would probably fit our needs a little better.

If a couple things fall into place, hopefully in the next year or two I can start cutting and welding what I am tossing around in my head.
    Carl

Thanks

And now I am back to doing silly things....

21762120_10100793611288477_4977648409195847686_n.jpg
    Carl

38. The Following User Says Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (10-02-2017)

Thanks

While I wait for the new diff....

Trying out a new mount for the winch. So far with some trimming on the OE bumper, fits pretty well.

21994413_10100795120299407_8767664075458925624_o.jpg
    Carl

40. The Following User Says Thank You to MTUH3 For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (10-02-2017)

Thanks

Good to see it's moving on

42. The Following User Says Thank You to H3Hummer For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (10-10-2017)

addiction level: 1
    Thanks

Wow cool stuff. I like the location of the new winch mount.
    10 T

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha X For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (10-10-2017)

Thanks

Getting a few things closer. I still need to grind down the welds, pretty up the edges a bit, punch the hole for cable and fair lead and close out the hole in the bumper. But all in all, passes the fitment test.

Some good wins on this change.
    Improves approach angle, back to OEM
    Brings winch mass back, closer to the front axles
    Brings winch mass lower in the vehicle
    Reduces interference to airflow around the

22291410_10100803497481467_8078385346061991862_o (1).jpg
    Carl

Thanks

Might have to look you up next time I'm down your way to take a gander at that set-up, though I only get down there once a year at the most.

Thanks

Anytime. I don't get up your way with this truck very often anymore
    Carl

Thanks

Funny! We have family in Plymouth and Trenton...haven't taken the 3 to visit yet. Always take the Impala for the mileage, a bit more comfortable for the wife too as the exhaust drone that I like to hear bothers her.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to IRONHORSE1 For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (10-13-2017)

Thanks

Another part arrived today. This one seems to have a couple extra wires

22406104_10100804890709427_6911585156975259279_n.jpg
    Carl

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

NICE, a CI Locking front diff.
    Already geared to 4:56?
    . . . . .

Thanks

Great find!

Thanks

MU, yes. geared and ready to go. Even the bushings are in great shape. Looks like I want to replace the axle seals though.

I'll rebuild my old one as a spare, though they charged a hefty core
    Carl

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

It's always nice to have a spare front diff. CB and I call in insurance.
    . . . . .

55. The Following User Says Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

MTUH3 (10-17-2017)

Thanks

All mocked up. Need to finish some welds and paint.

I will need to trim the plastic bumper too. I might need to make some new brackets to hold the plastic bumper solid. The bolts in the middle were cut out of the metal bumper to fit the winch.

22852871_10100814006117077_7175049594680565855_n.jpg
    Carl

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

Looks good
    . . . . .