Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

H3 rear door cb antenna install

Thread: H3 rear door cb antenna install

Thanks

Protip H3 rear door cb antenna install

This is not the only way to add a CB antenna to an H3, it has been done before, but this may help with your install when the time comes. If you are going to wheel it, then you just got to have ears!

What to use:
    K40 (K4018FME) 18' Super Mini-8 CB Antenna Cable with Removable FME Connector;
    Roc Doc H3 Rear Door Antenna Bracket;
    Firestik K-4A Stud (3/8" x 24 threads mount);
    Insulated ground wire with eye butt connectors for each end; and,
    Pan head #8 or 10, " long Sheet Metal Screw.

I chose the above and mated them with a K40 Electronics 4' Superflex Whip Antenna (SF-400) which is s super flexible 1/4" fiberglass shaft with top loaded tunable coil, Black in color. I found this to be great for wheeling in the trees because I have seen others break.

The K40 Super Mini-8 CB Antenna Cable has a removable FME style connecter which make installation a breeze, and allows the cable to snake through the H3 rear door flexible wire conduit, and has an exterior weatherproof boot.

Starting at the rear door, you need an L bracket, and Roc Docs 3/16" press formed rear door antenna bracket was designed exclusively for the H3 and up to the challenge of whatever antenna abuse you can dish out. Our Roc Doc bracket clears 33" and 35" tires no problem and accommodates any 3/8" antenna stud. There are other brands you can choose, but when made from thin white metal, we know they can break.

Available in Stainless ($19.99) or Painted Metal ($14.99) at http://rocdoc.net/

The Roc Doc Rear Door Antenna Bracket fits over the upper left rear tire carrier eternal torx stud. Remove the spare tire. You need a 15MM wrench for the nut and a 8MM external torx socket to hold the stud (pliers can be used if your tool box has yet to see external torx). Once the nut is off, clean up the stud with an old tooth brush or SS detail brush.
    Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-03-2012 at 01:58 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Olds For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (03-03-2012),Theindian (03-04-2012)

Thanks

Re: H3 rear door cb antenna install

Use a butt connector eye large enough to go over the stud and install it on your groung wire. The ground is to ground the antenna bracket to the truck.

Open the rear door, remove the jack access panel and the jack. Your CB Cable and ground wire will go through the rear door vent’s upper slat to the antenna bracket. Run your ground wire out the vent to the tire carrier stud. If you are using a painted bracket, scrape off a small amount of paint from the truck side of the bracket around the stud mounting hole so the eye connector makes a good metal to metal contact. Place the bracket over the stud, hold it straight up and put the nut back on the stud finger tight and then tighten with your wrench while holding the stud with your external torx socket. So we are clear, the order over the stud is ground wire, antenna bracket, then nut.

Might as well install the antenna stud through the bracket hole (most 3/8" size studs will have a centering shoulder plastic washer of some kind), the K-4A stud has a " shoulder washer that will fit in the Roc Doc mount. Tighten the stud nuts and then screw on the antenna cable nice and snug. Pull up the rubber boot over the bottom of the stud.

Run the antenna cable and ground wire over to the hinge side of the rear door. The rear door flexible conduit can be gently pulled out of the door and truck to make threading the cable and ground wire through super easy. The conduit has grommet type ends, the truck side has a plastic ring through the truck pillar.

To get ready to fish the cable and ground wire to the truck from the door, pop off the plastic sill plate. Just plastic interior pin clips, start at one end and make your way across pulling up. The left side rear interior cover can now be pulled in from the bottom to pop the bottom free. It has plenty of flex to get the room necessary for threading the cable and wire in. So thread the cable and ground wire out of the door, through the flexible conduit, and into the truck.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Olds For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (03-03-2012),Theindian (03-04-2012)

Thanks

With some patience, you can reinstall the conduit back in its original position, it takes a bit of fiddling around, might use a small standard screw driver for some help.

The ground wire is almost home (I had a leftover piece of yellow wire I used). Feed it under/behind the I left side interior plastic so it will come out under the sill trim plate. Pick a spot under the rear sill plate, I used a #8 SS pan head sheet metal screw, drill an appropriate small hole to sink the screw into, add a small eye butt connector to the truck end of the ground wire. Scrape a bit of paint off around the screw hole in the sill plate, place the eye connector over the screw and sink the screw to finish the ground wire.
    Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Olds For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (03-03-2012)

Thanks

Time to go fishing, no bait necessary. Go to the back door, pull up the rear trim piece to fish the cable in from the rear.

Keep going, this is easy. *Pull up the back door sill trim, and move to the driver door and pull up that sill trim too.

Fish the cable forward to the driver door. Now run your cable to where you CB will be located. I ran mine under the carpet and over to the center console.

Snap your trim pieces back in place, tuck the rear interior plastic back into position, and then pop the rear door sill plate back in. Put the Spare tire back and have a ginger ale!
    Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc Olds For This Useful Post:

6pack (06-11-2014),e0308jr (05-21-2014),MUTAINT (03-03-2012),Theindian (03-04-2012)

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 752 Posts

Great post DOC!
    . . . . .
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad / XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Administrator

Thanks

Nice thread Doc...
    Money cannot buy happiness, but its more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than on a bicycle.

K9MDY

Thanks

nice love a clean install!

addiction level: 2
    Thanks

Great writeup Doc Im working on mine today. Hoping a standered cable with both ends attach will snake though the door and conduit like you did. if not Ill will order the cb cable you used. I plan to placing my cb (Cobra 75 WX ST) under the seat Using the power wires to the front seat for power. Unless there is some unseen problems doing this? Thanks for the great photos and how to!
    Last edited by Theindian; 03-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Administrator

Thanks

I won't say it won't work using the seat motor wires, but it might cause interference.

The single best way to wire any radio is directly to the battery with fuses.

All of my radios are wired this way with fuses on power and ground leads. The power leads are all double fused.
    Money cannot buy happiness, but its more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than on a bicycle.

K9MDY

addiction level: 2
    Thanks

Ive heard of some interference coming in from the engine bay, Dont remember from what. Thought maybe if I used the seat power it would limit that problem to only when and if I use the power to adjust the seat. Is the re some interference in the wire grouping in the driver side door seal that would cause a problem? Thanks

Thanks

Got the wire in today, Waiting on the antenna and bracket, Hoping to install it this weekend.