Administrator CFO

Thanks

Re: cgalpha08's build!!

Looks like fun.
    Golden Ballz - 9/11 - ROTM - 1/12

"It was a good idea, right up until it wasn't."

Thanks

Couple small things. I put some wild horse 4x4 springs in the front. They are dual rate vs the single rate that I had. Thanks to Mutaint for the recommendation.

Also upgraded the winch hook to a factor 55 flatlink E

-2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cgalpha08 For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (07-20-2020)

Thanks

Went and weighed the H3, surprisingly easy to do. Clocked in at 5720lbs, includes half a tank of gas and me (185lbs).

That puts me at 5535lbs with a SAS, SOA, 37s, Thorparts front bumper, winch w/synthetic line, rock sliders, and schwartzzy t-case skid.

If you strip the hypothetical weight of the bumper, skids, sliders, and winch, the SAS probably doesn't add too much weigh to the factory curb weight of the Alpha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    -2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

Thanks

So I've been working on a rear cargo platform for more storage, especially on longer trips. I decided to take the rear seats outs. FYI they weigh about 90 pounds.
    This isn't really designed for camping, but more for just storage of gear, parts, etc.

I made supports for the platform from 4x4's, bolted a post support to the studs that are already in the vehicle, drilled out a hole in the 4x4 to slide over the stud, then through bolted them. I put some rubber washers between then metal and the post support bracket as well.

For the platform, I started with a 4'X4' 3/4 plywood. Cut it down to about 32"40". Drilled out all the holes I would need.

I also bought some OEM cargo tie downs to match the existing ones in the back. Then I covered the whole thing in some generic indoor/outdoor carpeting.

Last edited by cgalpha08; 09-11-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    -2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

Thanks

Hit up Drummond Island Michigan this last weekend with some hummer peeps. Absolutely beautiful, fantastic weather.
    Trip was largely uneventful, had a ZJ in the group that broke a rear axle shaft, a H3 front driveshaft boot tore and lost all the grease and had to be swapped out. H2 cracked a rim.

This was the first true long hard test of the SAS. I have taken it to some local trails in Indiana, but never really more than a couple hours from home. Drummond is 9 hours away from me, about 570 miles one way. So over 1100 road miles, plus all the wheeling miles. The axle swap performed flawlessly. Didn't have a single issue with the axle or the suspension.

I did however have some transmission problems.
    The clip that holds the trans line into the cooler came out and I lost all trans fluid. The trans was revving and like crazy and not moving the truck. And the transfer case wouldn't shift into any gear as there was no power from the trans. The theory was that when I shifted into 4 hi unlocked there was no power going from the trans to the t case, so the t case wouldn't shift. Originally thought it was a t case issue, until a keen o server noticed red fluid everywhere. Luckily we sourced 3-ish quarts of trans fluid that a couple people had to get me to the parts store. Added a quart and everything seemed fine, however I called it quits for the day. Trans fluid temp never got over 150 on the trail. The next morning when it's time to leave, trans fluid looks low again, so I add half a quart. Then proceed to drive 5 hours and check it again....looks low, still not reading om the dipstick at all. Add the last half a quart I have and look for an auto parts store. I then ended up adding 6 more quarts of transmission fluid for a total of 10 all together. Every time I added a quart and rechecked, and moved the H3 forwards and backwards a few feet, I couldn't get a reading. I figured with 10 quarts in there I could probably drive home and be fine.

Well a kind passerby on the highway informed me I was smoking. So I pulled over and see trans fluid everywhere underneath. I definitely overfilled and a lot came out of the vent hose. It was still oozing a couple hundred miles later as well. Made it home though and trans temps never for over 215 either.
    Having it flushed and checked for leaks out of caution.

My cargo platform worked perfectly too which was nice.

-2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cgalpha08 For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (09-25-2020)

Thanks

Update: Shop found no leaks in the transmission lines, did a full flush as well. So hopefully no more issues down the road.
    -2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

Thanks

Great pics! I was supposed to join you guys but got some issues going on, luckily MU brought my full size cut out so I was there in spirit. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    "yours may go fast but mine goes everywhere"

Youtube.com -TheLC73&H3T-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDA...SjKEOkRaTkYppg
    Instagram - TheLC73H3T-https://www.instagram.com/thelc73h3t_/
    Georgia Overland - http://georgiaoverland.blogspot.com/...-road-and.html
    Georgia Bounty Runners Off Road Club- http://www.sfwda.org/gbr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lchase3t For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (09-25-2020)

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 804 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lchase3t View Post
    Great pics! I was supposed to join you guys but got some issues going on, luckily MU brought my full size cut out so I was there in spirit. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    You went everywhere we did Buddy!

Larry 1.jpg

4.5.jpg

Larry 6.jpg

larry 11.jpg

Larry 8.jpg
    Last edited by MUTAINT; 09-25-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: SAS'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad SAS/SOA, NOTJEEP 2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 804 Posts

Connor, nice video. Got a lot of rigs int here. THANKS!
    I may steal it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: SAS'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad SAS/SOA, NOTJEEP 2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad