Thread: Bump Stops or Progressive Dampeners????? H3/H3T Front Suspension

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 804 Posts

Bump Stops or Progressive Dampeners????? H3/H3T Front Suspension

"They are not actually just "bump stops" they are progressive dampeners used as part of the entire front suspension on a GM IFS system. They bend and flex to give you better control and a softer ride. The Non-GM replacement/extended "bump stops" do not have the same progressive rate of compression/deflection in them and will exhibit different ride qualities.

You may notice that the LCA on the GM IFS seems to be resting on its upper bump stop or very close to it. This is not only a bump stop, but what is called a progressive dampener. It compresses at a progressive rate, simulating a progressive rate spring, and letting the torsion bars achieve close to a progressive feel. Another con is as you increase the ride height by adjusting your keys, the ride gets worse. Now itís a common misconception that there is more of a load on the bar and this is the cause. That is impossible since the LCA moves as well, so there is no more torsion on the bar than before, the spring rate does not actually change like many believe. The twisting action does not change the pre-load on the bar directly, so cranking your bars is just like adding a block in the rear or a coil spacer. It is simply changing the position of the spring. Just to clear things up, pre-load is the amount by which the torsion bar can't return to its original (unloaded) position due to be installed in the truck. The reason for the bad ride quality is instead a combination of things. First of all, when you adjust the height up, the angle between your LCA and the ground is increased which effectively does reduce your pre-load by reducing the leverage your LCAs have on your torsion bars. This negatively affects the ride by taking the torsion bars out of the preload range they were designed to work in. In combination with that, if you crank too far your UCAs have very little room left between them and the lower bump stops, reducing downward travel. You also pull the LCA away from the progressive dampener, making it ineffective and putting yourself back into the position of having a linear spring. These are the reasons the ride gets worse!"

I hope this helps out with some of your questions.
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: SAS'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad SAS/SOA, NOTJEEP 2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

Beachbum (04-29-2012),DustDevil82 (03-07-2012),Firehawk (03-06-2012),Pappibri (03-06-2012)

Thanks

Re: Bump Stops or Progressive Dampeners????? H3/H3T Front Suspension

Now I understand the setup a little better.. But when you crank it/level it, isnt there someway of modifying the mounting position of the bumpstops to raise them so they will be the same distance they were previous to leveling it?
    Live Life, Love Life, And Love Your Hummer.

Water People Inc
    Thanks

So this might be a little to much lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hugs and Kisses
    Thanks

yeah a little, I would guess you get pretty significant body roll when you turn. How high are yours cranked?
    Usually, there is something cool to read here, but since I'm not that witty and and don't have a catchphrase, I am sorry to say you have just been suckered into wasting your time reading this.

Thanks

Buy and install a set of extended bumpstops. Ride returns to normal and problems are solved. :)
    Sniper762
    2007 H3, 3.7L, 5 spd.
    12k Winch, AEM Filter, 35's, PCM4Less Tune

Administrator CFO

Thanks

Here's what you need. The 1/2" version.
    http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=764
    Golden Ballz - 9/11 - ROTM - 1/12

"It was a good idea, right up until it wasn't."

Water People Inc
    Thanks

23.5"
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunger View Post
    Here's what you need. The 1/2" version.
    http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=764
    I had looked at those and been on the fence about ordering, but then Rancho'd. Gave the factory bump stop set up a little less credit then they deserve.
    Last edited by Beachbum; 04-29-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks

Here is a little story about those extended bump stops. It's about time to resurrect this old post. Note the date and some facts have changed like cranking down to more like 23.5 after some actual testing, ever wonder how that came about?? and how the magic number of 1/2 inch was determined.

Aug 30, 2007
    I’m turned up 8 turns or 24.25 in the front. The yellow rubber bump stop (jounce) is now NOT touching at rest like it does with stock torsion adjustment. This as you who have done this found out when braking the heavy front end, in my case winch and brush guard, dives like a sub.
    The cure: I think the pictures will help but a few details. I ordered the "springs" as they call them from my dealer because I was there discussing some things and planning another Hummer Happening. GM direct probably has them. 15088370 $16.93 ea
    I first froze mine so they would cut and drill better. I used a fine tooth band saw blade. I cut them from the top down ĺ inch, after trying other lengths. (the picture is the first length I tried.) I used a Forstener wood bit which cuts smooth holes with flat bottoms. I recessed both the top of the new piece and the bottom of the existing piece. It is real important to recess the bottom of the old one where the bolt head is. The picture is not the last one with deep recess. I wanted to git er dun. It needs to be in as deep as the recessed grove around the rubber where the taper stops. There is a hole and small recess in the top of the metal mount on the H3. (there is no way to get a nut in there with out a grinder or plazma torch so I skipped that idea.)I used a 3/8 bolt 3 inches long and flat washers at each end. I ended up using a regular nut and lok-tite because of spacing. It only had threads near the end. I used that size because that will leave some thread sticking up at the top. You can push this thru the hole in the mount to center it and provide some protection should the longer length try to leverage out. The top recess needs to be so the nut is slightly below the surface. You are restricted here because you only have ĺ inch. That was after three failed attempts with the rubber too long and the bolt too long and not recessed enough. It would compress and hit the bolt which you could feel. I did a little run around jumping curbs and railroad tracks and the speed bumps at Lowe’s and it is great now! That doesn’t count as mall cruising does it??
    I’m going to do some real field testing this weekend so stay tuned.
    Result I cut off the top threaded bolt sticking out and recessed it as well. The final extended piece was 1/2 inch.
    I'm going to sell these already done for $360.41 American dollars in keeping with Hummer after market parts gouging! :lol: :lol: 8) Just in case SOMEBODY MISS UNDERSTANDS I AM KIDDING!
    Or you can make them yourself for $36.41

If anybody needs more info let me know, testing in progress, I love my job……………….

Last edited by Hunner; 04-30-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

To Update HUNNERs (OLD 2007 #s) post.

Part Number was superceded!
    Old Part Number 15088370
    New Part Number 15783030
    Part Name SPRING
    MSRP $20.12
    Core $0.00
    Save $5.22
    Online Price $14.90
    http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...&siteid=214638
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

Hunner (04-30-2012)

Hugs and Kisses
    Thanks

WOW!!! I never knew anyone had done anything like this... Hunner is that what you still run today?
    Usually, there is something cool to read here, but since I'm not that witty and and don't have a catchphrase, I am sorry to say you have just been suckered into wasting your time reading this.

Thanks

Some of us "old guys" figured some of this out by applying past experience! lol what we could remember anyway............
    There was no one to ask back then when I started modding mine.
    No, I retired mine to the Hunner museum of all things Hummer after Phil, from Trail Duty and I talked about how well that worked he had some made, out of the black polyurethane. I told him for my setup the 1/2 worked and any longer would likely "squeish" out. He had some longer made also but I heard of people having them get lost.
    I think those are stiffer and not progressive as a spring style like OEM, but that was fine with me because that controlled things better with a heavy winch and mount built in my brushguard.
    I also asked him to reconsider calling the bump stops and Bilstein package, a "leveling kit" it's an "after leveling kit" as that type of shocks do not lift a vehicle they just compress with resistance.
    I recommend not using any lube to insert them. Placing a large screwdriver against the edge right at the metal tabs in the cup will work to force it in. If you just don't have the patience for that only use liquid detergent and wash really good or they could pop out under load.
    Last edited by Hunner; 04-30-2012 at 02:35 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunner For This Useful Post:

xllkoyokollx (04-30-2012)

Hugs and Kisses
    Thanks

That is so interesting. I had no idea this was how the extended stops came into existence. Thanks for the history lesson!

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

Personally I have used the Trailduty "bumpstops" and did not like them a whole lot. Way to stiff esp. OffRoad (installed with hairspray, slick then very sticky). I ended up giving them to Jesse and went back to the factory progressive dampeners setup.

Maybe I'll make some like this when I get time so I can have less front end dip but still have the factory ride.
    Last edited by MUTAINT; 05-20-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks

I have only run the Trail Duty ones on the Alpha which has the firmer torsions, maybe some how that combo works. I can't always explain this stuff I just report on the results, lol

You might look into the Timbren I thought about using them but you will have to work a bolt down inside the cup or cut a hole to get one in. They will bolt on. However they may also be stiff.
    I bolted my Frankenbumps together but I just installed them like they were before, pressed in.
    I had to buy a bunch of bolts that are threaded all the way in order to recess the ends so they did not tap the a-arm.
    If you decide to try it I will look up more details of what I did.

Timbren makes lots and lots of options I looked at.
    I have not spent the time to look at all of it but at one time found what could have been used to replace the stock ones and some added length which could be made to work. Maybe some research would come up with the right combo.
    The H3 and H3t are listed but I guess you would need something longer cross referenced. They have rear ones also.
    http://www.timbren.com/timbren-appli...pdfs/GMFC4.pdf
    Last edited by Hunner; 04-30-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Hugs and Kisses
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MUTAINT View Post
    Personally I have used the Trailduty "bumpstops" and did not like them a whole lot. Way to stiff esp. OffRoad (installed with hairspray, slick them sticky). I ended up giving them to Jesse and went back to the factory progressive dampeners setup.

Maybe I'll make some like this when I get time so I can have less front end dip but still have the factory ride.

I like em good and stiff... MU maybe with age you are just used to em more loose and floppy...

That may have come out wrong but the point is still valid...

Water People Inc
    Thanks

Found an H3 today and now I can really tell that front end is where it should of been from day one.

addiction level: 2
    Thanks

Here a an old article might shed some light on your dilema.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu.../photo_10.html

TheGunnyRet
    2007.5 Blk H3
    3.7 Ltr ORLP

addiction level: 2
    Thanks

Part II of some information you might be interested in...

http://www.lightracing.com/products/...eshock-systems

TheGunnyRet
    2007.5 Blk H3
    3.7 Ltr ORLP

addiction level: 1
    Thanks

anyone using the light racing jounce shocks?

Thanks

I dunno, those look neat but seem like an expensive solution to a simple problem. Also not much you can have go wrong with a simple jounce bumper.

Thanks

I have a Rancho lift with the 4" dampener extensions. I found that I didn't have enough front suspension travel, so I removed the front and rear dampeners and extensions. Now I have more suspension travel and now I can keep my coffee in my cup until I drink it.

I checked the rear and found that my shackles are too close to the bracket bolt and I can see signs of them hitting so I think I will be fabricating a couple of extended shackles.

I tired of my suspension hitting bottom and would rather have a better ride.

Mark

Thanks

Does anyone have some stock front bumps they want to sell?

Hugs and Kisses
    Thanks

I think I have a pair. I'll check my pile-o-hummer stuff to know for sure.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Thanks

I've got mine in the garage somewhere, I can check when I get home tonight.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    "yours may go fast but mine goes everywhere"

Youtube.com -TheLC73&H3T-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDA...SjKEOkRaTkYppg
    Instagram - TheLC73H3T-https://www.instagram.com/thelc73h3t_/
    Georgia Overland - http://georgiaoverland.blogspot.com/...-road-and.html
    Georgia Bounty Runners Off Road Club- http://www.sfwda.org/gbr