Thread: Line-X for UCP & Sliders

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Line-X for UCP & Sliders

I hope I've picked the right place for this question, if not, I'll have to beg the indulgence of a moderator to re-locate it.

When I got underneath my T (during a briefly sunny day this winter), to tap out the holes for installing my RR Sliders, I noticed that the UCP that got installed just last fall is already showing signs of surface rust. I'm thinking that after RC, I'll take them off and spray on rust-converter and a fresh overcoat.. which got me to thinking about just having both pieces of the UCP, the stock metal skid plate and the optional stock aluminum skid plate PLUS my new sliders, all coated with Line-X.. has anyone had any experience with doing this? Pros/Cons?
    2009 I5x5Adv H3T (adopted Aug'13), Driver: Snowman; Adventure pkg=Front+Rear lockers, BA bumper+12K# Badlands winch, Fierce Attitude 35's on cstm pntd Tactical whlz (not winter), Duratrac 35's on cstm pntd MB whlz (winter), AirDoc intake, CB-UCP, RR Rock Sliders, TomP low profile shock mounts, CB-Hunner Skids.

addiction level: 2

Thanks

Re: Line-X for UCP & Sliders

I had my RR sliders sandblasted, P1010074.jpgP1010077.jpg the powder coat didn't last long. I sprayed the with dupli color truck bed liner. They look good and are easy to touch up

Thanks

Good pics Major Tom, thanks.. yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking.. easy touch-up. Was really disappointed at how quickly the UCP's powder coat wore off. Would Line-X be tough enough to last "longer" (than regular paint anyway) on a part that will see actual ground/rock contact like the sliders and UCP will?
    2009 I5x5Adv H3T (adopted Aug'13), Driver: Snowman; Adventure pkg=Front+Rear lockers, BA bumper+12K# Badlands winch, Fierce Attitude 35's on cstm pntd Tactical whlz (not winter), Duratrac 35's on cstm pntd MB whlz (winter), AirDoc intake, CB-UCP, RR Rock Sliders, TomP low profile shock mounts, CB-Hunner Skids.

Administrator CFO

Thanks

Don't bother with Line-X. It's expensive and it'll just get scraped off again.
    Use a rattle can product, paint, or spray on bedliner. That way you can touch it up easily.

I do mine in the spring once the weather gets above 70. I just use black matte spray paint.
    Golden Ballz - 9/11 - ROTM - 1/12

"It was a good idea, right up until it wasn't."

Thanks

I'm gonna have to agree with bunger on this one, Line X is a good product but seeing as you'll want to touch it up from time to time anyway you may as wel just use the spray on bedliner.

Thanks

Yep same here spray can bed liner coating and flat black rustoleum. As soon as the weather breaks it'll be time to bust out the electric pressure washer and simple green, I like to hook up the water to the hot water heater helps cut through all the crud.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 788 Posts

Duplicator Bedliner on the BA bumper, Rocky Road Sliderz and UCP. Easy touch up after the scrapes and stuff. Once a year on the UCP and sliders.
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: SAS'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad SAS/SOA, NOTJEEP 2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad

Thanks

Well, probably won't warm up enough to do all the removal, painting and re-installing before RC, so I'll pencil in a summer chore.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSportCHO View Post
    Well, probably won't warm up enough to do all the removal, painting and re-installing before RC, so I'll pencil in a summer chore.
    Heat up the garage and get to wrenching and painting my man! I wish mine still fit in the garage... I would have got a ton done this winter.
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: SAS'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad SAS/SOA, NOTJEEP 2009 H3T Alpha OffRoad

Administrator CFO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSportCHO View Post
    Yeah, I've got a lot of other more important things to get done when it warms up.
    My truck doesn't fit in my garage either. I'll probably be doing things right up until thursday night before leaving for RC on friday morning.
    Painting the UCP can wait.

Thanks

So long as they do their job it don't really matter what they look like right? Besides, you'll probablyneed to paint em after.........if ya wheel it right.

Administrator CFO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IRONHORSE1 View Post
    So long as they do their job it don't really matter what they look like right? Besides, you'll probablyneed to paint em after.........if ya wheel it right.
    yup