Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ironhorse build-up finally begins

Thanks

Re: Ironhorse build-up finally begins

Noticed it's been a minute since I updated this, received my Delrin from McMaster Carr in 3 business days,(impressed). Have it cut into blanks and is now with one of the guys @ work in our tooling department waiting for an open slot in a mill. Need to keep calm as this is all coming together so I can avoid messing something up out of haste.

Thanks

Well kiddies, all seems to have went pretty well. Were I to do it again I may have made a couple of changes but overall I'm pretty happy so comes the unveiling.IMG_20161022_135750[1].jpgIMG_20161022_135847[1].jpgEven made it with the quick release pins to ease removal for the daily driving commutes.IMG_20161022_135822[1].jpg Took it for a drive after install, no movement from the mounting system and wind noise while loud with the sunroof open isn't ridiculously loud, I will need to develop a fairing ahead of and possibly behind the sunroof opening.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IRONHORSE1; 10-22-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks

Not sure why the pic of it in primer showed up. But there it is.

addiction level: 4

Thanks

Nice! Keep it up, Winter is around the corner!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChgoUAV View Post
    Nice! Keep it up, Winter is around the corner!
    I know, right? Will be able to remove it easily with 3 people, 2 minimum so I don't have 2 feet of snow on top of the rig.

Thanks

Wow, has it been that long already? Dang how time flies when you've been busy as heck. Not much new lately besides basic maintenance, changed both hub assemblies and shocks and while not really pic worthy as the detail was so small but I replaced the hvac control bulbs with neo wedge t4's from superbright leds. Also replaced the drivers door switch bulbs and here's where it gets tricky. Many of you know (as I'd assume) the other three doors use a different bulb base that contacts on the sides. AS I had ordered plenty extra led's I very carefully took apart the oem bulbs like you would a Christmas tree bulb and replaced the bulb. Not difficult but very time consuming at about two hours for three bulbs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IRONHORSE1 For This Useful Post:

MUTAINT (07-31-2018)

Thanks

So, I actually changed out a drivers door bulb today and was looking at the other doors. Passenger front was fine, but do the rears have bulbs as well? And if so what size fits them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    -2008 H3 Alpha -RIP
    -2009 H3 Alpha/Adv

Thanks

The Passenger doors all use one bulb each. The same T4 Neo wedge ( or the LED that comes with it) will work but you have two mounting choices. 1, remove OEM bulb from its base and install LED into it (pita but doable) or 2, Solder LED to circuit board trace and hope the polarity is correct. I chose option 1, a lighted magnifying lens helps and a razor knife blade, tweezers and very small needle nose pliers. If you look at the bulb base the contacts are copper leaf on the sides which is pressed into place. Remove it through the bottom of the base and the leads are able to be removed as you would a small Christmas tree bulb from it's base.
    Did the rear window wiper switch last evening this way as the T4 base was a bit loose in the circuit board and the bulb base was a bit shorter than OEM, think I'm going to redo the HVAC controls the same way soon, better connection and a bit taller base to get the LED closer to the plastic light channel.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 770 Posts

If you want to go LED just buy them complete on eBay or Amazon.
    No soldering necessary. Plug and play. If it does not light up with power, spin it 180 degrees.

Search for "T4 Neo wedge led SMD", I prefer the light from triple SMD LEDs. A tiny bit more expensive.
    If you don't want SMDs then search "T4 Neo wedge led".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-White-T...LH_TitleDesc=0

Hope this helps!
    . . . . .
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad / XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Thanks

Mark, was the color match 'on', and also, were they 'dimmable'?
    '08 Birch White Alpha: Air Doc intake, K&N filter, Magnaflow cat back, Plus 1 light bar, Off road grille lights, front and rear roof marker lights, Air horn w/on-board compressor, back-up camera, complete interior & exterior LED lighting, 305/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs, E&G fender flares w/splash guards

Thanks

Just finished up with the last of the bulbs I wanted to do by changing out the headlight switch bulb that illuminates the upper portion ( Left the lower white for contrast). Have seen the write ups on how to and I gotta tell ya the process is not too bad, though the LED's I had from superbrightleds.com had too short of leads to fit this particular base. After soldering longer leads on to the LED I was able to re-install it into the OEM base and re-assemble the contacts back into the nylon base. Light output is visible in daylight directly in front of LED and a bit dimmer as light travels through the light channel to the other areas , can't wait to see it at night!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    Mark, was the color match 'on', and also, were they 'dimmable'?
    Can't speak for MU's but the NEO wedge T-4's I got from SuperbrightLEDS are dimmable, don't look like they dim as low as the incandescent OEMs but they do dim down. The switches/buttons directly in front of the bulbs are much brighter than the ones further down the light channel but all in all look good.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IRONHORSE1 For This Useful Post:

Broken Halo (08-09-2018)

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IRONHORSE1 View Post
    Can't speak for MU's but the NEO wedge T-4's I got from SuperbrightLEDS are dimmable, don't look like they dim as low as the incandescent OEMs but they do dim down. The switches/buttons directly in front of the bulbs are much brighter than the ones further down the light channel but all in all look good.
    Has anyone done an inventory list of EVERY interior bulb in the H3 to do an LED conversion?

Like:
    Component:
    Bulb type:
    Bulb Quantity:
    OEM Color:

Thanks

Currently I come up with...Dome/Map lights (This includes the cargo area) 5 - 578's
    Courtesy lights, 2 - 194's
    HVAC, Headlight switch, all four door window switches, 11 T-4 Neo Wedge LED's...though the 3 passenger doors and the Headlight switch bulbs will have to transferred into the OEM bases due to variations in contact points. The correct bases for those may be available directly but with minor mods the standard T-4 will work. Remember that LED's are polarity sensitive so there is a bit of trial and error, also, watch the HVAC controls blower motor control switch positioning upon putting it back together. The knob and the mating lever behind it need to be lined up in order to have the settings work properly. For those looking for straight replacement incandescent bulbs are available but you have to buy the bulbs at the stores without bases and transfer them into the bases.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to IRONHORSE1 For This Useful Post:

atvspeed4 (08-10-2018)