Thread: Working hood louvers.

addiction level: 1
    Thanks

Working hood louvers.

Is there anything out there that wont break the bank (what wont on a H3) lol or anyone do a DIY project on this.

Administrator CFO

Thanks

Re: Working hood louvers.

Open hood louvers are a BAD idea.
    There are a lot of electronics under the hood that don't like moisture and you will have problems if water gets in there.

As far as breaking the bank, there are smart ways to mod a H3 and there are expensive ways to do things.
    Doing as much work yourself, knowing where to buy parts, knowing what mods are worth doing all affect the cost of modifications.

Having a dealer do your work or buying your parts from a dealer is the MOST expensive way of doing things.
    Golden Ballz - 9/11 - ROTM - 1/12

"It was a good idea, right up until it wasn't."

Thanks

Thanks again. I have some basic machining skills from my gunsmithing days so some mods I should be able to handle. Still have my lathe and small milling machine.
    As far as the louvers I was thinking a manual type and for hot days. I have the same "running hot", as a lot of other people with H3's. I did see some pretty neat ideas on the forum but didn't see and long term evaluations.

Thanks

I have long thought of these for urban jungle driving and slow winding steep trails.
    Just removed my black plasti-dip experiment after seeing 145 degree temps on the surface as opposed to 104 on the white hood.

As suggested there can be drawbacks of sorts but not like scoops would be.

(I block the scoops on my Cumming hood except when heavy towing.)

However when driving in rain and fording the fan on the H3 blows up more water than backward facing louvers allow in most circumstances.

I plan to make a removable panel under the hood I can slide in.

Because of all the braces the center vent they offer does not look to be worthwhile to me.

I do like the side of the hood, vents and there are two areas that can be cut out.

I'm waay past vanity at this point versus functionality.

http://hoodlouvers.com/hummer/

Thanks

I'm thinking a functional louver could be made so long as a guy uses spaced cover plates on the underside of the hood to direct any moisture away from the coil packs. As for the effectiveness....well, who knows. Depends on how much air flow it would allow.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 786 Posts

Best mod I have seen or read about is removing the plastic & rubber hood seal @ the back of the engine compartment. Allows the air to flow from the fan over the engine up and out betweeen the cowl and hood.

Ran Woodward @ 2 mph for 4+ hours and didn't go over 190. I'm sold on it.
    . . . . .
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad soon to SAS/SOA

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUTAINT For This Useful Post:

IRONHORSE1 (08-16-2015),Toxicrider (08-16-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MUTAINT View Post
    Best mod I have seen or read about is removing the plastic & rubber hood seal @ the back of the engine compartment. Allows the air to flow from the fan over the engine up and out betweeen the cowl and hood.

Ran Woodward @ 2 mph for 4+ hours and didn't go over 190. I'm sold on it.
    Good easy mod, can't say I'd have considered that.

Thanks

It may not be as effective at higher speeds as I have determined at the bottom of the windshield is a high pressure area.

On my truck as an example I drilled out a hole in sheet metal under the hood at the fire wall leading to the vented area under the windshield and it forces air in.
    I added the side scoop after turning things up and the turbo was boosting 40 lbs instead of 18 and caved in the closed air box.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

Hunner, at higher speeds I never had a heat issue.

Do the I5s have a heat issue at higher speeds?
    . . . . .
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed, XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Thanks

Thanks gents. My H3 ran cool and never above the half mark. Last summer my radiator developed the famed crack on top and had to be replaced since then it has run hotter, just a fraction above the half way mark during normal driving and then between the half way and three quarter on inclines. This is mostly on open highway at 70-75 mph. I had a transmission cooler installed and haven't seen a significant drop in temp, also added a bottle of water wetter too. I'm not a hard core trail rider or rock climber but, being Vermont and dealing with low speed on dirt roads most of the time the highway miles to and from work only, I'm more concerned about keeping her cool and keeping her for a long time. I'm also curious as to why i have a temp now after a new radiator.
    Last edited by VTH3; 08-17-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks

You May want to invest in a Bluetooth code reader and a smart phone app like Torque. They will give you real time actual temperatures for your trans and engine.
    . . . . .

Thanks

Me either but then I don't drive over about my age, I guess it will go up?

Just wanted to share that info about the high pressure area I found out about.

Don't know about I-5, I forgot everything I knew about that when I got the Alpha.

Administrator CFO

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about where the temp gauge sits. You could ask 50 H3 owners where there needle sits and get 50 different answers.
    The temp gauge is not a precision instrument, as Doc Olds says "it's an idiot light with a needle".
    Golden Ballz - 9/11 - ROTM - 1/12

"It was a good idea, right up until it wasn't."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VTH3 View Post
    Thanks gents. My H3 ran cool and never above the half mark. Last summer my radiator developed the famed crack on top and had to be replaced since then it has run hotter, just a fraction above the half way mark during normal driving and then between the half way and three quarter on inclines. This is mostly on open highway at 70-75 mph. I had a transmission cooler installed and haven't seen a significant drop in temp, also added a bottle of water wetter too. I'm not a hard core trail rider or rock climber but, being Vermont and dealing with low speed on dirt roads most of the time the highway miles to and from work only, I'm more concerned about keeping her cool and keeping her for a long time. I'm also curious as to why i have a temp now after a new radiator.
    Saw something here that I gotta ask about, when you did the radiator did all the air get burped out? That would fit if your gage suddenly jumped afterwards. Being from Michigan I'd say we live in the same temperate zone and I haven't had an issue even on the hottest days nor while towing my camper even when pulling that beast I only see about half on the gage, and like the others said, It's not a true reading.

Thanks

That is a possibility. The dealer installed it but the guy wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed (long story). How do you burp the system?

Thanks

Sounds like a good and inexpensive idea any problems with snow in the winter creeping under the hood. I'm sure you and I have pretty much the same climate in winter.

Thanks

Well to answer the second one first no, no issues with snow inside the engine bay here and the last couple have been heavier than past. Actually was driftbusting and headlight deep a couple years back. As for the first the dealer should have used a pressurized system to remove the air, I've not had issues with this even after installing the OEM block heater but some have reported having luck with parking on an incline and idling with the cap off until the air pocket comes to the top. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm going to remove the hood seal this weekend. I found a neat trick on youtube for burping using a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to VTH3 For This Useful Post:

IRONHORSE1 (08-19-2015)

Thanks

My answer to the all H3 louver problems :-) :