Thread: exhaust options

addiction level: 3
    Thanks

exhaust options

so i had a minor issue with my H2 a few days ago.

popped a p0300 and a p0174 (misfire and running lean)
    at the same time, i smelled a major exhaust fume while driving, and when i eventually parked right afterwards.

almost like the muffler got blocked, and the fumes escaped from a leak where the muffler connects to the cat tubes.

i have gotten those codes before when i do long trips ( 1k to 2k mile trips @ 12+ hour straight driving)
    im guessing the cats are getting flooded with fuel or the system isnt able to fully get all the exhaust out and is causing a backup.

so i am trying to decide my options.

replace the whole system.. headers and muffler @ about $1500 ish for parts and my labor
    replace the muffler only $250 (midas OEM replacement) or up to $800 for aftermarket and i install

dont really car for the Borla or Corse systems. why too much for a meh sound or system.

ideally i would like to put in long tube, no cats, and dual mufflers.
    i dont care about fancy tips poking out of the back, but sure if the option is there.
    doing this setup might be more of a pain than it is worth, so it might make more sense to keep going 2 into 1 muffler (like the Borla, Corse, and OEM)

when i first got my H2 back in 08, it did have 3 missing head bolts which got replaced.
    obviously if i go with new heads, i plan on getting some good ARP head bolts.

so who has replaced just the muffler and kept the stock system, and who has replaced the whole system?
    any guesstimates on HP/torqe gains?
    time for uninstall and install?

recommendations?
    2003 Black Hummer H2 Adventure Package
    4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193

addiction level: 2
    Thanks

Re: exhaust options

I just cut off the garbage can stock muffler and had a flowmaster 40 welded in. Sounds awesome ....can't really tell of any real gains. Will probably do the long tubes and afi stainless duall exhaust down the road sometime and get a tune.

addiction level: 2
    Thanks

I put a Billy Boat cat back on my 09 H2 6.2L. It sounds awesome. Also 300 series stainless will last forever.

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldrums View Post
    I just cut off the garbage can stock muffler and had a flowmaster 40 welded in. Sounds awesome ....can't really tell of any real gains. Will probably do the long tubes and afi stainless duall exhaust down the road sometime and get a tune.
    +1 on this. I did the exact same thing.