Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Superchips Error "Not Stock" & T-43

Thread: Superchips Error "Not Stock" & T-43

addiction level: 4
    Thanks

Superchips Error "Not Stock" & T-43

I plugged my Superchips Cortex up to the SUT, it connected to the PCM and pulled down current configuration only to alert me that the installed configuration is NOT a stock file. It then gave me a T-43 error code and said to contact Superchips support. The Cortex will NOT attempt to overwrite the foreign tune...makes sense I suppose...don't wanna get a bunch of random configs going on in that fancy computer brain.

Superchips support indicated that the vehicle must have been tuned by the previous owner; and further clarified that the "T" in the error code stood for "transmission." They instructed me to have the dealer re-flash the PCM with "as built data" to wipe out the current configuration. Seems simple enough, right?!

Well maybe not...most of the GM dealers that I initially spoke with made this out to be a huge, "iffy" scenario. "Well, we might not be able to re-flash the PCM...it depends on the tuner that was used...blah blah blah;" which got me worried that I might be stuck with this unknown tune and/or that I'd have to buy a new PCM to get back to stock. The truck was originally sold in California and god knows what those EPA hippies out there might have done to it.

But then I called my old, trusted HUMMER dealer (now a Chevrolet and fleet truck dealer) and they simply said "just bring it in an drop it off."

So...is it "iffy" and difficult, or is it a simple fix? I guess I'll find out shortly. As it stands now I've got an appointment to drop the truck off Saturday morning for a stock re-flash of the PCM, but thought I'd post a thread about this in the event that someone else runs into a similar issue and similar alarmist service departments.

More to come.
    "You better get the insurance."
    CNTRY
    DTOM

addiction level: 3
    Thanks

Re: Superchips Error "Not Stock" & T-43

It should be fairly straight forward, just copy the stock calibration file in place of what you have.
    I use hptuners on my vehicle (h3) and on those trucks the trans has a seperate module from the pcm, and each can be calibrated seperately... Unless you brick your tcm/pcm, the dealer can easily re calibrate to stock values.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amrg For This Useful Post:

guruerror (03-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post
    It should be fairly straight forward, just copy the stock calibration file in place of what you have.
    I use hptuners on my vehicle (h3) and on those trucks the trans has a seperate module from the pcm, and each can be calibrated seperately... Unless you brick your tcm/pcm, the dealer can easily re calibrate to stock values.
    That's what I thought, it just weirded me out when I started calling GM dealers that were close to my work (so I could drop it off and pick it back up with relative convenience) and they were all..."Oh well...I don't know...you could have a major problem there...etc."

I should have just went straight to my old HUMMER shop...they used to be HUMMER and GM Performance Vehicles. That tells me right there that they are more accustomed to dealing with ECU/PCM flashes and re-flashes. They seem to think it's no big deal either, but like I said, we'll see Saturday. I figured it would be good to document the results here in the event that someone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

There's definitely a 'tune' that I don't like in this truck...moves like a slug compared to my last deuce; so I'm eager to get the Cortex tune that I'm used to back in there.
    CNTRY
    DTOM

Mayor of Drummond Island

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 738 Posts

At most dealerships you will get some oil change and trans flush pusher on the phone. They really know nothing about the vehicles they write service tickets for. My favorite dealership has a bunch of oil change pushers working the service Wright up desks now. They don't know a TCM from BCM. I have just give the tech my phone # and they call me for the symptoms and what I think is the issue.

With all that being said it should be a simple reflash to obtain the stock settings. Not sure if an H2 has a PCM and TCM. If so both may need to be reflashed.
    . . . . .
    "I'd rather be lost on Drummond Island than found on the Mainland!"
    Previously owned: Mr. Black H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. Orange 08 H3 Alpha, Mr. Blue 08 H3 Alpha OffRoad, Mr. "T" 09 H3T Adventure 5 speed

Current: Mr. Red Roc'T 10 H3T Alpha OffRoad / XXLH3 10 H3 Alpha OffRoad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MUTAINT View Post
    At most dealerships you will get some oil change and trans flush pusher on the phone. They really know nothing about the vehicles they write service tickets for. My favorite dealership has a bunch of oil change pushers working the service Wright up desks now. They don't know a TCM from BCM. I have just give the tech my phone # and they call me for the symptoms and what I think is the issue.

With all that being said it should be a simple reflash to obtain the stock settings. Not sure if an H2 has a PCM and TCM. If so both may need to be reflashed.
    According to HUMTECH at Elcova and based upon what research I've done it looks like its got a PCM that controls both the engine and the transmission.
    CNTRY
    DTOM

addiction level: 3
    Thanks

Not sure if I missed it, but I cant tell which year you have?
    If you have a 6 speed, there is a tcm (located inside the trans). For the earlier 4 speed models, not sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amrg View Post
    Not sure if I missed it, but I cant tell which year you have?
    If you have a 6 speed, there is a tcm (located inside the trans). For the earlier 4 speed models, not sure.
    '06 SUT 4L60-E/4L65-E 4-speed
    Last edited by guruerror; 03-03-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    CNTRY
    DTOM

Thanks

Everything at the dealer went smoothly; had it back in just a few hours with a completely re-flashed PCM ($135). My Cortex recognized the stock file and I was able to flash my tune with no problem.

So...no big deal after all.

UPDATE: ...and 'wow'...the previous owner must have had some kind of economy tune in the PCM. After the drive to work this morning with the new Cortex flash, I can honestly say, 'the pep is back.' Well...as much pep as you can put in a 6,600 lbs. truck.
    Last edited by guruerror; 03-07-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    CNTRY
    DTOM

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guruerror For This Useful Post:

bunger (03-07-2016),MUTAINT (03-07-2016)